Link building is a crucial part of any successful SEO strategy. In 2017, with the constant changes in search engine algorithms and the increase in competition, it’s more important than ever to build high-quality links that will help your website rank higher in search results.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about link building, including the benefits of link building, different types of links, and best practices for building links that will boost your SEO rankings.
Benefits of Link Building
Link building is the process of acquiring hyperlinks from other websites to your own. Links are one of the most important factors in determining the ranking of a website on search engine results pages (SERPs). Here are some of the benefits of link building:
- Increased website traffic: High-quality links from other websites can drive traffic to your website, increasing your website’s visibility and potential for conversions.
- Improved search engine rankings: Google considers links to be a sign of authority and popularity. As such, high-quality links from authoritative websites can improve your website’s ranking in search results.
- Building relationships: Link building can also help you establish relationships with other websites in your industry or niche. This can lead to further opportunities for collaboration and backlinks.
Types of Links
Not all links are created equal. In fact, Google has strict guidelines regarding the types of links that are acceptable for SEO purposes. Here are the different types of links and how they impact your SEO:
- Natural links: Natural links are links that are earned through high-quality content and other organic means. These links are the most valuable and can significantly improve your search engine rankings.
- Editorial links: Editorial links are links that are earned through partnerships or collaborations with other websites. These links are also valuable, as they are typically earned through high-quality content or other mutually beneficial arrangements.
- Guest post links: Guest post links are links that are earned by contributing high-quality content to another website in your industry or niche. These links can be valuable, but should be earned through reputable websites with a high level of authority.
- Paid links: Paid links are links that are purchased from other websites or networks. These links are generally considered unethical and can result in penalties from Google, as they violate their guidelines.
Best Practices for Link Building
Now that you know the benefits of link building and the different types of links, let’s dive into some best practices for link building in 2017:
- Focus on quality over quantity: It’s more important than ever to focus on building high-quality links from authoritative websites. A few high-quality links can be more valuable than a large number of low-quality links.
- Create high-quality content: High-quality content is the key to earning natural links and editorial links. Create content that is informative, engaging, and shareable to attract links from other websites.
- Build relationships: Building relationships with other websites in your industry or niche can help you earn valuable backlinks. Reach out to other websites and collaborate on high-quality content or other mutually beneficial projects.
- Use social media: Social media can be a powerful tool for link building. Share your content on social media and engage with other users to build relationships and attract links.
- Monitor your backlinks: Regularly monitoring your backlinks can help you identify low-quality links or potential spam. Disavow any links that are spammy or low-quality to avoid penalties from Google.
- Use link building tools: There are a variety of link building tools available that can help you identify high-quality websites to target for link building. Use these tools to streamline your link building efforts and improve your resultsDiversify your anchor text: Anchor text is the clickable text in a hyperlink. Diversifying your anchor text can help you avoid over-optimization and improve your website’s ranking for a variety of keywords.
- Avoid black hat techniques: Black hat techniques, such as buying links or using link farms, are unethical and can result in penalties from Google. Stick to ethical link building techniques to avoid penalties and maintain the integrity of your website.
- Utilize broken link building: Broken link building is the process of finding broken links on other websites and suggesting your own content as a replacement. This can be a valuable way to earn high-quality links.
- Stay up-to-date on SEO trends: SEO is constantly evolving, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices for link building. Follow top SEO experts and stay informed on the latest updates from Google to ensure your link building efforts are effective.
Real-Time Data and Expert References
To support our guide to link building, let’s take a look at some real-time data and expert references:
According to a study by Moz, link signals are one of the top two factors in Google’s ranking algorithm. This highlights the importance of link building for SEO.
In a video by Google’s Head of Webspam, Matt Cutts, he emphasizes the importance of earning natural links through high-quality content and partnerships. He advises against buying links or participating in link schemes, as these tactics can result in penalties from Google.
Neil Patel, a top SEO expert, suggests focusing on building relationships with other websites and creating high-quality content to attract natural links. He also recommends using link building tools to streamline the link building process.
In conclusion, link building is a crucial part of any successful SEO strategy in 2017. By focusing on high-quality links from authoritative websites, creating high-quality content, and building relationships with other websites, you can improve your search engine rankings and drive more traffic to your website.
Remember to avoid unethical link building tactics and stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices in SEO. With these strategies in mind, you can build a strong and effective link building strategy in 2017 and beyond.