Ornamental Kantaji Temple, Dinajpur

People of Dinajpur is always proud of their rich culture, religion and heritage since 4th century B.C. This region is administered by the ancient Mayrians, Palas, Senas, Muslims and later by the British till the Independence of India. Across Dinajpur, two places are very rich from historical and religious point of view. One is Bangarh(Devkot, also called Kotivarsha) located in Gangarampur PS. under West Bengal’s South Dinajpur, India, is 11 miles south of Dinajpur town. and another one is Kantanagar  under Kaharole PS. 12 miles to the north of the town. According to Dinajpur Gazetteer, 1912,P.137, ” The Building was begun in 1704 by Raja Prannath, the greatest of the Dinajpur Raja, who brought an image of Kantaji from Delhi and set it up there. Kantaji temple was originally on a small scale was extended as the building went on and took a long time in completion”. This Navaratna Krishna Temple is worldwide renowned for its terracotta architecture. The whole outside walls of the temple are covered with beautifull brick reliefs   which were focused on classical Hindu mythology, history, war, and local culture. The ornamental walls tell us the epic of Ramayana and the life and works of Lord Krishna. Mughal King