Dinajpur Zilla School

Dinajpur Zilla School

Dinajpur Zilla School or DZS is a government funded Boys’ School in the district, located at Munshipara sadar, in the heart of Dinajpur town just opposite the Municipality house. Established in 1854 the school is very famous for its Relief map of South Asia which had been constructed by one of her School teacher, Md. Afzalur Rahman in 1920s. The main building which was used to be the collectorate office in British Raj, along with the admin building and the circular garden had greater architectural beauties and amenities are now no more:(

Historians are revealing that one Bijaya Chakraborty, a local social worker established the school first in 1852 and finally it came under Government admin in 1854, have been making so many nation’s Brilliants in the past, now and in the future. Renowned poet Kazi Kader Newaz was a Head Master and Pandit Gopal Chandra Bhattacharjee was also very famous for children’s short poetry among town dwellers.

Though it’s now a Bangla (Bengali) medium school, but English was used to be nurtured at a greater extent in British and early Pakistan period. The school has good logistic facilities like Computer labs, Libraries, Playing grounds and good accommodations for the outsiders. Leon Muslim Hostel (est. In 1905) was a large 2 storied Red brick noted dormitory since the British period now has been replaced by a less significant 1 storied building recently.

DZS has now been running its schooling activities in two shifts, morning and day due to severe pressure from the public who usually choose the cost effective government school in the district. The school always arranges several programs like annual sports, picnics, cultural shows and one of them is quite popular and traditional is to publish a yearly ‘Sharanika’ where students and teachers usually write prose, poems and wallpapers.

There are other notable schools in town namely Saint Philips High school, a Catholic school with great study and research facilities and Maharaja Girijanath High School though the later has been physically destroyed by a devastated mine explosion just after the liberation war in 1971.