kantaji.com tells you about the Geography, History, People, Culture, Kantaji Temple, Shapnapuri, Shitakot Bihara, Ramsagar and many other sites and sounds of Dinajpur. It is a district of North Bengal in Bangladesh. Once this region was called Kotivarsha or Devkot (also called Bangarh, is located 11 miles south from the district town, now at Gangarampur, India)was a Vishayas (district) under Pundravardhana Bhukti in the early period. The historical and archeological records are revealing that, the Mauryans, Guptas, Palas, Senas, and Muslims were controlling this region from 4th century BC until the reign of the British Raj.Thirteen Subdistricts (Upazilla) namely Ghoraghat, Nababganj, Hakimpur, Birampur, Fulbari, Parbatipur, Chirirbandar, Sadar, Biral, Setabganj, Kaharole, Khanshama and Birganj are building the geography of Modern Dinajpur District.
It is highlighted quite severely by a late medieval Krishna Temple, namely Kantaji Temple, located 13 miles north of Dinajpur town.Every year Hundreds of Thousands of visitors pay a visit to look thousands of beautifully decorated terracotta, a significant historical attraction and a religious monument to the Hindu follower in Bangladesh.
One of the Important infrastructure has been constructed on the soil of it, is the Barapukuria Coal Mining Company Limited, a PetroBangla company located in Parbatipur is producing and supplying around 250 MW electricity into the National Gird in Bangladesh.
If you are planning a trip across this area; Shapnapuri Theme Park and Sitakot Bihara in Nababganj, Ramsagar National Park, Ruined palace of Maharaja, Chehelgazi Tomb in sadar, Hili International port in Hakimpur, are worth a visit.
People of dinajpur always feel proud for Kantaji Temple, a late medieval archeological establishment ever found in dinajpur district, built by veteran Maharaja Prannath in Kaharole police station. Although It’s a Hindu temple, but thousands of beautifully decorated terracotta display and picturesque serene atmosphere are attracting thousands of visitors every year across the world. This Navaratna Krishna temple was built in 1752; although the great earthquake of 1897 had demolished all its nine towers.however its beauty was exaggerated more. 13 miles north from the town, on the west of the river Dhepa, this temple is also called Kantanagar temple, as it is located in the village of KantaNagar. The picture I have pasted on your left is collected from the online British library, which had taken by John Henry Ravenshaw in 1871.[Read More]
Map of Dinajpur
Dinajpur in North Bengal was once one of the largest Districts in British period.But on behalf of Administrative convenience and assuring good governance several of its parts included to different districts in different times till 1984. During the Partition in 1947, there were three Sub-divisions in erstwhile Dinajpur District namely Dinajpur, Balurghat and Thakurgaon. Thirty(30) Police stations had consisted these sub-divisions, in them twenty P.S. went to Pakistan and other ten went to India in accordance with the Radcliff Award. Thakurgaon Mahakuma had entirely given to Pakistan, while consisted of 12 police stations, Dinajpur had parted equally between India and Pakistan.Both these two countries had achieved six police stations each, at the same time Patnitala, Dhamoirhat and Porsha P.S. were separated from Balurghat and went to Noagaon S.D. under Rajshahi District of Pakistan. Phulbari, was then under Balurghat S.D.[Read More]
Barapukuria Coal Mine
One of the spectacular modern infrastructure has been built in Dinajpur, is the coal mine base Barapukuria Coal Mining Company Ltd along with the Thermal power plant, located at chowhati under Parbatipur Police station, also very near to Phulbari proper. Unearthed in 1985 by the Geological survey of Bangladesh, the coal is deposited to be 300 million metric ton for extraction from under 118-500 metre depth. This coal is largely fueling the adjacent 250 megawatt power plant, which produces the electricity and supplies to the National Power Grid of Bangladesh.
Dinajpur was under pundravardhana Bhuki in the ancient period. The people (Pundras) of Pundranagara were mentioned in Aitareya Brahmana as Dasyus i.e. people outside the Aryan or Vedic culture. The historical and archeological records manifested that the Mauryans, Guptas, Palas, Senas and Muslims rulers were politically controlling the area from 4th century BC till the advent of the British Raj. During the late Mughal period, while this region was called as “Havelee of Panjara”, a holy man named Kashi, a Brahmachari was preaching on Shri Krishna, won millions of hearts of the local and earned an innumerable wealth. Although he did not get married, He left all his estate to one of his disciple Srimanta Datta Choudhuri, was the early founder of Dinajpur Raj family. .[Read More]
Dinajpur Zilla School
Dinajpur Zilla School is the leading Government high school in Dinajpur. This Boys’ School is one of the most prominent educational institutions in North Bengal have fabulous heritage of giving modern education across this poorest region which is heavily dependent on Agriculture since its inception in 1854.The school had a worse time during the partition when a significant part of educated Hindu family migrated to India and created a vacuum in the teaching sector though it got an early setback by taking good initiatives and running the school efficiently. Notable Poet Kazi Kader Newaz was one of prominent Head Master of this school in Pakistan period .[Read More]